Bruises, or contusions, are caused by direct trauma to the small blood vessels under the skin. Bleeding in these tissues causes the black and blue coloration of a bruise.
- Apply ice or cold packs to the area for 15 to 20 minutes, several times a day, for the first 48 hours to decrease swelling and pain.
- Keep the bruised area elevated.
- Apply a heating pad or warm towels if you still have pain two days after the initial injury.
Seek medical attention if:
- You experience severe pain, fever, redness, or pus
- You begin to bruise easily and/or have multiple unexplained bruises